I am a senior at Baldwin Wallace University spending my last semester of Undergraduate study at the University of the Sunshine Coast in Sippy Downs, Queensland, Australia. Follow along on all my adventures here!

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Hervey Bay & The World Cup

Sorry I haven't blogged for a while, the past week or so has been a bit crazy! I've been studying pretty consistently since getting back from Byron Bay and finally took my big Systemic Physiology final exam yesterday. I still have Politics on Thursday but feel much more confident for that.

So an update on what I've been up to the past week!

After studying so much early in the week I decided to take a few hours off (of studying and sleep) Friday morning to get up and watch the opening ceremony and first match of the World Cup.


It was really cool to watch the game with other international students! The enthusiasm from the 3 Brasilians in the group was incredible.

After getting back from that I worked on my design project for a bit then packed up for an impromptu trip up to Hervey Bay with Lovisa and Keiran. We were just going up for the day and one night to go relax and have fun. Lovisa and I were able to get some cool pictures of the sunset on the beach Friday evening even though it was quite cloudy again.



The next day on our way back to USC we stopped in the town next to Hervey Bay, Maryborough. I didn't know this before but our "tour guide" Kieran told Lovisa and I that the writer of Mary Poppins was originally from Maryborough before she moved to England. Even though it was raining we made sure to get photos with the Mary Poppins statue in the main street area of town.


Once we got back Saturday I spent the next day and half studying then took my exam yesterday! Final exams are done very differently here than I'm used to at home... They set up their large indoor sports stadium with rows and rows of tables and chairs, check you in, and sit you in a random seat. The exams are strictly timed and if you finish early you have to be checked out by one of the test supervisors. There were 4 different classes taking exams in the stadium yesterday, I think around 800 or so people. It was a bit nerve wracking being in such a large room with so many people and the supervisors walking around and checking over your shoulders constantly.

This morning I got up to watch the Germany vs. Portugal game and after a quick nap the USA vs. Ghana game. Watching Germany play with a large group of Germans decked out from head to toe in jerseys and scarves and flags was another really cool experience. I was the only one in my apartment watching the US game and had to try to keep quiet for most of the first half until the rest of my roommates were awake. Tomorrow morning I am planning on watching the Brasil vs. Mexico game with a few of my Brasilian friends, should be good!!

Later today Lovisa, Carolina and I are heading up to Mount Coolum to hike, I should have some good pictures from that to post later today or tomorrow. Then Saturday I leave and have 4 days in Melbourne before returning to USC to pack and get ready to head home. I can't believe how soon it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment